Skip to main content

Competition Season (Mostly)

Competition season is vastly approaching, meaning my life has taken a turn into Crazy Town. Sometimes I wonder why I signed up for two AP classes, Theater, Band, and Medical Anatomy while I'm trying to juggle working too. It is extremely tiring to be doing all these things but the rewards make it all worth it. It'll be nice to not have to take English or Government in college (if I pass the AP test) and the memories I make with my  performing arts friends will last me forever, not to mention it is so cool to learn all our body can do, oh and work is such a fun little family for me and the money in my bank account doesn't hurt. Stuff like this makes the craziness worth it. I'm not one to just sit still, I love having stuff going on in my life.
Back to the topic... Competition Season. AH!!!! I LOVE competition season. I love pouring hours into my instrument hoping the rest of the band does the same thing and maybe this is the year we'll take state (fingers crossed) I love going with my theater class to region and seeing all my old friends from Tuacahn. Region Theater is always my favorite and this year I can feel it... this is the year I'm going to make it to State. I started preparing a monologue and all that fun stuff (I don't care for working with people, I'd rather be hard on just myself and not my partner too) and was so excited to go compete. Then we started doing Once On This Island (OOTI) and Region was a potential sacrifice. I put the monologue away and devoted time to OOTI. My theater class has the hardest time putting stuff together and so when we started pulling our act together and Region became a possibility, I rushed to find a new monologue (I wasn't feeling the old one) and put all my efforts into that so I could show it to my teacher. The monologue needed a lot of censoring, so I edited it and was prepared to show it to her today. Then in class, we discovered that Region is not a possibility with OOTI. I was crushed, all that hard work for nothing. As a Senior in High School, there is no next year for me.
TA-DA! My theater teacher is awesome and did everything she can to allow me and the other seniors to go compete. :D We still have work of our own to do to make this happen, but I am so thankful that she is willing to work for us. I don't even know what this post is about anymore, just really needed to clear that off my mind. I hope everything does work out, and that this truly is the year I take state :)

Comments

  1. Dang, Becs!!! I'm surprised you don't have any gray hair with all that craziness! Good luck on making State this year- you got it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Gigi

Hey Gigi, I can't believe you've been gone an entire year. I miss you so much. I wish we would've been closer before you left but our fractured relationship with Grandma sorta prevented that.I remember getting the call from my mom while I was at Disneyland with my friends saying that I needed to call Grandma Darcy because you were probably going to die that night. I broke down crying at the Tower of Terror, my friends held me on the sidewalk while I cried. I finally put myself together long enough to call you and say goodbye. You didn't answer me and when I hung up I lost it again. I pulled myself together so I could enjoy the rest of my trip, anxiously waiting for the phone call that you had moved on. I returned home and you were doing better, all the worry and panic that I felt was finally gone... I still had more time. I wasn't expecting to receive that message from Grandma on the morning of April 3, 2012 that you had passed on in your sleep. I sat at the table

Another Show, Another Closing Night... Or Two.

When I auditioned for Fiddler on the Roof at a local theatre here in town, I never thought that I could get cast in the children's show Bridge to Terabithia. Imagine my surprise when I was approached by the director to be an understudy for Miss Edmunds, as well as an Assistant Stage Manager. I eagerly agreed, and thus began one of the craziest summers I've experienced so far. While I was disappointed to have not made it into Fiddler , I am so thankful to have been given the opportunity to have worked on Bridge to Terabithia. Because it is a children's show, most of the roles were double cast meaning we have two closing nights. Tonight was the final performance ever of Bridge to Terabithia  at Brigham's Playhouse. Closing night is always a bittersweet feeling. I'm anxious to move on to the next show, or to even have a break from shows and have a chance to breathe for a little while before jumping into the next production. But on the other side of that, I'm nev