Skip to main content

Dear 16 Year Old Me

Dear 16 Year Old Me,
You've finally done it! You're 16!!!! I know you're still struggling over losing Paul and Nolan, but that's okay to still be feeling this way. I know you're thinking life will just be awesome... you can date now, you're on Drama Council and Pine View is doing Fiddler on the Roof. You're also about to enter your hardest year of school. APUSH, Honors English AND College Classes??? Girl you are insane. I'd like to offer you some advice. First things first: relationships are over rated. I know you feel like you have to have a boyfriend now that you are finally of age but in all reality you don't. I know you're going to get boy crazy, just please remember that you never need a boy in your life to be happy. The second thing I have to tell you is learn to manage your time. You are so super involved with anything and everything right now... you need to manage your time and learn to prioritize or else be prepared to face the consequences (I promise you, you will not like the consequences). Third: cherish your friendships. I mean it, you have so many amazing people in your life right now. Cherish them! Especially Sarah because one day she will be gone and you won't have her there for you anymore. Fourth is don't be afraid to ask for help... again I say DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP!!!!!!! You can't do everything and that is totally acceptable, believe it or not people will understand that you aren't so perfect after all. And the last thing is that you need to learn to stand up for yourself and what you believe in. If you don't like being in the college classes then say something! If you want to major in Theater do something about it! Don't let your parents talk you out of what you want.
I'm writing this at the age of 18 and I can tell you that things don't work out how we had it all planned. You never do find that boyfriend at 16. You do get betrayed by those you thought you could trust... I took this and became resentful and bitter for the longest time. I hope and pray that you don't do this. Life is too short to be bitter. You will lose Gigi and that will shatter your world, what crushes you even more is that Master leaves Pine View. Senior year doesn't go as awesome as you'd like. Because you hid from your parents that you are on Band Council, you lose all your rights for the first semester. Really you should know by now you can't get away with anything like that. You do get those relationships you wanted at 16. By trying to be nice you break someone's heart... and what comes around goes around because you get your heart broken too by Austin Thompson. Austin really messes you up and you go back to being bitter. I just want you to know that you find that boy that makes you forget about all the negative things that Austin did. There's actually two boys... I'm stuck on that one. I know that I will end up hurting one of them and I don't want to. But back to you. All this stuff happens but you shouldn't let it make you angry or upset. All this stuff happens to help make you a better person. I am a better person now because of everything that will happen to you. If I could go back and change it I don't think I would. So I wish you good luck and I know that you'll do great!
Love,
18 year old me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Gigi

Hey Gigi, I can't believe you've been gone an entire year. I miss you so much. I wish we would've been closer before you left but our fractured relationship with Grandma sorta prevented that.I remember getting the call from my mom while I was at Disneyland with my friends saying that I needed to call Grandma Darcy because you were probably going to die that night. I broke down crying at the Tower of Terror, my friends held me on the sidewalk while I cried. I finally put myself together long enough to call you and say goodbye. You didn't answer me and when I hung up I lost it again. I pulled myself together so I could enjoy the rest of my trip, anxiously waiting for the phone call that you had moved on. I returned home and you were doing better, all the worry and panic that I felt was finally gone... I still had more time. I wasn't expecting to receive that message from Grandma on the morning of April 3, 2012 that you had passed on in your sleep. I sat at the table

Competition Season (Mostly)

Competition season is vastly approaching, meaning my life has taken a turn into Crazy Town. Sometimes I wonder why I signed up for two AP classes, Theater, Band, and Medical Anatomy while I'm trying to juggle working too. It is extremely tiring to be doing all these things but the rewards make it all worth it. It'll be nice to not have to take English or Government in college (if I pass the AP test) and the memories I make with my  performing arts friends will last me forever, not to mention it is so cool to learn all our body can do, oh and work is such a fun little family for me and the money in my bank account doesn't hurt. Stuff like this makes the craziness worth it. I'm not one to just sit still, I love having stuff going on in my life. Back to the topic... Competition Season. AH!!!! I LOVE competition season. I love pouring hours into my instrument hoping the rest of the band does the same thing and maybe this is the year we'll take state (fingers crossed) I

Another Show, Another Closing Night... Or Two.

When I auditioned for Fiddler on the Roof at a local theatre here in town, I never thought that I could get cast in the children's show Bridge to Terabithia. Imagine my surprise when I was approached by the director to be an understudy for Miss Edmunds, as well as an Assistant Stage Manager. I eagerly agreed, and thus began one of the craziest summers I've experienced so far. While I was disappointed to have not made it into Fiddler , I am so thankful to have been given the opportunity to have worked on Bridge to Terabithia. Because it is a children's show, most of the roles were double cast meaning we have two closing nights. Tonight was the final performance ever of Bridge to Terabithia  at Brigham's Playhouse. Closing night is always a bittersweet feeling. I'm anxious to move on to the next show, or to even have a break from shows and have a chance to breathe for a little while before jumping into the next production. But on the other side of that, I'm nev