Skip to main content

Picture This

Picture this if you will. Picture a seventeen-year-old girl curled up in her bed sobbing those gut wrenching sobs, the kind that rub your throat raw. Picture her trying to calm herself down, telling herself everything is going to be okay. Picture her telling those voices in her head that they were wrong. The depression didn’t scare him away. Picture her convincing herself that the boy she’d been dating for the past two and a half months, the one who just broke her heart, hadn’t raped her. That he wasn’t using her just for sex. That he really loved her and that he would come to his senses and they’d be together again. Do you see it?
Picture that same girl three years later. She’s tried to pick up the pieces of what that boy did. She’s tried living a normal life, and failed. She’s seen countless guys up and leave once they find out she’s a rape victim. Picture that girl trying to keep the tears from falling every night, because not only does she have depression but now she has the title of Rape Victim to add to her various bags of emotional baggage she carries around.
Picture this girl trying to open up and trust again. Trying to trust that the boy she's dating won’t leave her broken and even more destroyed. Trying to trust that they aren’t just using her for sex.  She eventually gives up and moves on. She eventually realizes that sex is the only thing that makes them want to stay, and that that is not the kind of girl she is.
Picture this girl giving up. She is giving up on finding someone who cares. Someone who is patient enough to wait. Picture her giving up on being happy.
That girl is me. At times I feel I am broken beyond all repair. It feels like a normal life is too far away and that kills me inside. I want nothing more than to be normal. However, thanks to the selfish decision that was made by an ex-boyfriend on that day in May three years ago, a life that’s normal is not an option. I can’t help but to be angry at him for that. He broke my trust and ruined any chance I’d ever have at a normal relationship.
I know they say all things happen for a reason, but it’s not fair. If the reason for this happening was to make me stronger, it didn’t work. I am weak. I want to be strong. I want to say that I’ve gotten over what he did. That is not the case. I know they all say it takes time. I don’t want to spend any more time thinking about what he did. Do you know how hard that is when I meet a great guy and things are moving along, but I have to stop what we’re doing because it triggers a flashback to that horrible night? I know it’s not my fault and to be honest, I know that if he really cares about me it won’t annoy him. But still, I feel bad. I feel bad, because three years ago an asshole conditioned me to believe that guys hate it when you say no. He conditioned me to believe that saying no doesn’t work, so why should I waste the breath?

Three years ago I became permanently damaged. A normal dating life vanished before my eyes. I know one day I’ll meet someone who can mend the pieces, but I’ll always be scarred. Three years ago my life was changed in the worst possible way. I can't change the past, no matter how badly I want to. I can't go back to that night and run away from him. I can't tell him I didn't want to go on our date. I am a victim of sexual assault. That is now a badge that I have to wear. Whether I decide to wear it with honor or with shame depends on the day. I know I say I'm a survivor, but how can you be a survivor when you feel so weak? I thought I'd be over this by now but I'm not. All I can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other and hope that over time this all gets easier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Gigi

Hey Gigi, I can't believe you've been gone an entire year. I miss you so much. I wish we would've been closer before you left but our fractured relationship with Grandma sorta prevented that.I remember getting the call from my mom while I was at Disneyland with my friends saying that I needed to call Grandma Darcy because you were probably going to die that night. I broke down crying at the Tower of Terror, my friends held me on the sidewalk while I cried. I finally put myself together long enough to call you and say goodbye. You didn't answer me and when I hung up I lost it again. I pulled myself together so I could enjoy the rest of my trip, anxiously waiting for the phone call that you had moved on. I returned home and you were doing better, all the worry and panic that I felt was finally gone... I still had more time. I wasn't expecting to receive that message from Grandma on the morning of April 3, 2012 that you had passed on in your sleep. I sat at the table

Competition Season (Mostly)

Competition season is vastly approaching, meaning my life has taken a turn into Crazy Town. Sometimes I wonder why I signed up for two AP classes, Theater, Band, and Medical Anatomy while I'm trying to juggle working too. It is extremely tiring to be doing all these things but the rewards make it all worth it. It'll be nice to not have to take English or Government in college (if I pass the AP test) and the memories I make with my  performing arts friends will last me forever, not to mention it is so cool to learn all our body can do, oh and work is such a fun little family for me and the money in my bank account doesn't hurt. Stuff like this makes the craziness worth it. I'm not one to just sit still, I love having stuff going on in my life. Back to the topic... Competition Season. AH!!!! I LOVE competition season. I love pouring hours into my instrument hoping the rest of the band does the same thing and maybe this is the year we'll take state (fingers crossed) I

My Thoughts On Growing Up

     Whenever I tell someone I am a Senior the response is usually the same, "what do you want to do with your life?" I don't know how to respond to that. My family is telling me to go one way and my dreams are pushing me another way. Don't get me wrong, I want what my family is telling me to do, I would love being a doctor helping those who need me. But my passion is acting. I love being on the stage, all eyes on me. If it was up to me I would love to be a theater teacher or possibly an english teacher. I know the choice is mine but I can't live with letting my parents down and not following the path they've established. Graduation is fastly approaching and I have no idea which path I will be taking when the time comes. I've just got to take things day by day and see where they lead, maybe a new dream will form and I'll follow that, I don't know. For right now I'm just putting one foot in front of the other, hoping I'm making the right cho