Skip to main content

Moving On

     So I leave for my very last summer camp here in a few hours (yes, I'm still awake at two in the morning and I have to wake up and get ready to leave around eight or so) and I have so many emotions running through my system right now. I'm so excited to see what this year will bring. This is the first time our church will be staying at the Big Rock Candy Mountain Resort (yes, that is its real name) so I'm excited to see what they have to offer. Also the pastor that Jake hired to come preach is amazing. He taught our lessons last year and I loved it, I really felt myself growing closer to God. I'm also very excited for worship... I hear it should be pretty awesome and for me I love to worship God best through music (last year I even got to join the worship team up at camp and it was such an awesome experience). The Draper campus is coming down to camp with us and that should be fun too, last time we camped together was way fun and the laughs were endless. I am also so sad that I will have to let all of this go. After camp is over I will officially be graduating from the youth group.
      This youth group has been a part of my life for about the past five or six years. I joined way back in 2007, when I was going into seventh grade. I have seen this youth group grow and transition its way from UTX (Under the Cross) to SURF (Students United in Redeeming Faith) I have seen several leaders throughout this group too. First was Cyndi and Orie who were phenomenal leaders and still people I look up to. Cyndi and Orie stepped down and Dallas and Greta stepped up to the plate. This was the time our church building was expanding and we were building the youth room above Big Springs and we were excited for a bigger space. We got our room and things were going smoothly... we even had our very first camp WWW (Walking Wisely Weekend) and we had started up the mid-week Bible study. Then something happened and Dallas and Greta had to step down and Jake took over. Thanks to Jake this youth group has turned into something amazing. He transformed the youth group at SMCC. I am so thankful for Jake and Marisa. The two of them have been such an amazing impact in my life these past few years as high school was winding down and college growing closer and closer. I honestly have no idea where I would be without them. I certainly wouldn't be volunteering to help with the High Tides (5-8 grade) at church.
      As the end came near I thought about approaching Jake about becoming an intern for the youth group to one day become a youth leader myself. I still wasn't sure if that's what I really wanted though or if it was just a way for me to still be plugged into the youth group. Eventually I realized that because I wasn't super involved with the group once I started working maybe asking to be an intern was too outrageous and I should wait and see if that's something I'd still want to do in a year or so. I was still feeling like I needed to get involved with something... I just didn't know what. Then David approached me one Sunday and asked if I would be interested in helping out with High Tides. I accepted the offer. This is what I've been waiting for! I'll be working with an age group that I relate to (for some reason I connect better with younger teenage girls) and I'll be helping to guide them to Jesus. I only hope that I can help impact their lives the way Jake and Marisa have impacted mine.

Comments

  1. Becca- I am so happy to read all of this. You are an amazing young woman and I'm excited to see how God is going to use you with High Tides!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Gigi

Hey Gigi, I can't believe you've been gone an entire year. I miss you so much. I wish we would've been closer before you left but our fractured relationship with Grandma sorta prevented that.I remember getting the call from my mom while I was at Disneyland with my friends saying that I needed to call Grandma Darcy because you were probably going to die that night. I broke down crying at the Tower of Terror, my friends held me on the sidewalk while I cried. I finally put myself together long enough to call you and say goodbye. You didn't answer me and when I hung up I lost it again. I pulled myself together so I could enjoy the rest of my trip, anxiously waiting for the phone call that you had moved on. I returned home and you were doing better, all the worry and panic that I felt was finally gone... I still had more time. I wasn't expecting to receive that message from Grandma on the morning of April 3, 2012 that you had passed on in your sleep. I sat at the table

Competition Season (Mostly)

Competition season is vastly approaching, meaning my life has taken a turn into Crazy Town. Sometimes I wonder why I signed up for two AP classes, Theater, Band, and Medical Anatomy while I'm trying to juggle working too. It is extremely tiring to be doing all these things but the rewards make it all worth it. It'll be nice to not have to take English or Government in college (if I pass the AP test) and the memories I make with my  performing arts friends will last me forever, not to mention it is so cool to learn all our body can do, oh and work is such a fun little family for me and the money in my bank account doesn't hurt. Stuff like this makes the craziness worth it. I'm not one to just sit still, I love having stuff going on in my life. Back to the topic... Competition Season. AH!!!! I LOVE competition season. I love pouring hours into my instrument hoping the rest of the band does the same thing and maybe this is the year we'll take state (fingers crossed) I

Another Show, Another Closing Night... Or Two.

When I auditioned for Fiddler on the Roof at a local theatre here in town, I never thought that I could get cast in the children's show Bridge to Terabithia. Imagine my surprise when I was approached by the director to be an understudy for Miss Edmunds, as well as an Assistant Stage Manager. I eagerly agreed, and thus began one of the craziest summers I've experienced so far. While I was disappointed to have not made it into Fiddler , I am so thankful to have been given the opportunity to have worked on Bridge to Terabithia. Because it is a children's show, most of the roles were double cast meaning we have two closing nights. Tonight was the final performance ever of Bridge to Terabithia  at Brigham's Playhouse. Closing night is always a bittersweet feeling. I'm anxious to move on to the next show, or to even have a break from shows and have a chance to breathe for a little while before jumping into the next production. But on the other side of that, I'm nev