Skip to main content

Breaking the Silence

I was raped. That never gets easier to say. I was raped. A year and a half ago, I was madly in love with a boy I thought I was going to marry and he raped me. We were on a date, things were going fine until he crossed a line. I told him no, I said stop. He eased off only to try again. This time I made the move to leave. He wouldn't let me leave. I wish I would've fought harder, jumped out of that truck and ran, even though we were literally in the middle of nowhere. I didn't though, and even if I had I don't think my story would be different. I would still have been raped, just in a different time and place.
He was controlling. He wanted what he wanted and refused to take no for an answer. I was naive and believed deep down that I saw some good in him. I wish I could say that I left him after that night. That I told my mom and reported him to the police. Sadly, that was not the case. I was in denial, I was trying to tell myself that I wasn't raped. I didn't fight hard enough, I gave up too easy, does that count as rape? I knew it did. I knew it was wrong and it'd happen again and yet, I still stayed. And since no wasn't a sufficient answer I stopped fighting it. I let myself get further into a sexually abusive relationship.
I ignored it all, I let it kill me inside. I felt dirty and used. He ended things. It's funny, I saw he was growing distant. I had all my friends telling me I needed to end things but I didn't want to hear it. He ended things, claiming that he didn't want any ties when he left for boot camp. I cried, and cried. My parents guessed that we had sex, I never told them it was anything other than consensual. I didn't want to say it out loud. I was raped. It took months for me to finally admit I was raped. It took even longer for me to finally tell my parents.
That brought up the debate of do we file a police report? Did I really want to live that all over again? I'm a victim. Worse, I'm afraid of how the courts would see my story. I feel they'd see me as a "crazy ex girlfriend." There's no proof of what happened, it's my word against his. That's one thing that's stopping me. Another is he's in the Air Force. He is far away from me. Let's say I win in court and he gets kicked out of the Air Force. He'd probably have to come back home and live right up the road from me. I'd be more likely to run into him in my small town. But what if because I never reported him he rapes someone else? That's all on me. Can I live with myself knowing that? According to both of his exes I've talked to, I'm the only one he's raped. That helps to solidify my choice.
I need to heal, and I feel like the best way to do that is to not drag myself through the court system. Yes, I could win the trial but I could also lose and that will crush me. I like to tell myself that, thanks to some therapy, I've moved on. But I don't know for sure that I fully have. This is something I will carry around with me for the rest of my life. I've been keeping this bottled up, trying to forget and it's driving me crazy. I needed to get it out there. I need to begin healing and silence wasn't helping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Gigi

Hey Gigi, I can't believe you've been gone an entire year. I miss you so much. I wish we would've been closer before you left but our fractured relationship with Grandma sorta prevented that.I remember getting the call from my mom while I was at Disneyland with my friends saying that I needed to call Grandma Darcy because you were probably going to die that night. I broke down crying at the Tower of Terror, my friends held me on the sidewalk while I cried. I finally put myself together long enough to call you and say goodbye. You didn't answer me and when I hung up I lost it again. I pulled myself together so I could enjoy the rest of my trip, anxiously waiting for the phone call that you had moved on. I returned home and you were doing better, all the worry and panic that I felt was finally gone... I still had more time. I wasn't expecting to receive that message from Grandma on the morning of April 3, 2012 that you had passed on in your sleep. I sat at the table

Competition Season (Mostly)

Competition season is vastly approaching, meaning my life has taken a turn into Crazy Town. Sometimes I wonder why I signed up for two AP classes, Theater, Band, and Medical Anatomy while I'm trying to juggle working too. It is extremely tiring to be doing all these things but the rewards make it all worth it. It'll be nice to not have to take English or Government in college (if I pass the AP test) and the memories I make with my  performing arts friends will last me forever, not to mention it is so cool to learn all our body can do, oh and work is such a fun little family for me and the money in my bank account doesn't hurt. Stuff like this makes the craziness worth it. I'm not one to just sit still, I love having stuff going on in my life. Back to the topic... Competition Season. AH!!!! I LOVE competition season. I love pouring hours into my instrument hoping the rest of the band does the same thing and maybe this is the year we'll take state (fingers crossed) I

Another Show, Another Closing Night... Or Two.

When I auditioned for Fiddler on the Roof at a local theatre here in town, I never thought that I could get cast in the children's show Bridge to Terabithia. Imagine my surprise when I was approached by the director to be an understudy for Miss Edmunds, as well as an Assistant Stage Manager. I eagerly agreed, and thus began one of the craziest summers I've experienced so far. While I was disappointed to have not made it into Fiddler , I am so thankful to have been given the opportunity to have worked on Bridge to Terabithia. Because it is a children's show, most of the roles were double cast meaning we have two closing nights. Tonight was the final performance ever of Bridge to Terabithia  at Brigham's Playhouse. Closing night is always a bittersweet feeling. I'm anxious to move on to the next show, or to even have a break from shows and have a chance to breathe for a little while before jumping into the next production. But on the other side of that, I'm nev