Skip to main content

40 Things I Wish I Had Known When I Was 15

So it's been forever since I've posted on here. Life's been crazy. I was hanging out with my friends last night, one of which included my crush from Sophomore year in high school. I can't help but think about how happy Sophomore Becca would've been to see that I was hanging out with the boy who was my obsession for a good chunk of Sophomore year. The whole experience got me to thinking, what would I say to my younger self if I could go back in time? I know I've done a post like this last year with Dear 16 Year Old Me, but that was over a year ago and things have changed. So here are 40 things I wish I'd known when I was 15.
  1. Stop taking things way too personally. Yes, you're going to get lied to and cheated on (Senior year, it sucks but you move on) you'll feel betrayed by those who are closest to you. Don't let that ruin your friendships. Just let things go, everybody makes mistakes and forgiveness is a trait you need to learn.
  2. Don't be afraid to tell that cute guy in our Spanish class how you feel. You'll kick yourself for not saying something... Especially when you move schools.
  3. Don't fight your parents about the whole changing schools thing. Moving to Pine View is one of the best things to happen to you. You meet your best friend there, and you'll also meet the best theatre teacher ever. She's the reason you decide to pursue a theatre degree in the first place.
  4.  Boys are overrated. Just focus on yourself, and stop trying to find a boyfriend.
  5. Death happens. Losing people is part of life, yes it sucks to watch but the more people you lose the more numb you feel.
  6. Being numb to death is scary.
  7. Fight the depression. Fight like hell.
  8. Don't even think about starting to cut. Just don't, that'll be the worst decision you make.
  9. Be open about your depression. It's awesome that you overcome a horrible illness. Just remember there's a time and a place for that.
  10. Stop being clingy. Just stop.
  11. Your grades aren't everything. It's okay to get a C.
  12. Senior year isn't all it's cracked up to be. Just learn to make the best with what you're given.
  13. Let the things that happen in Senior Year go. It's in the past, leave it there. You'll be ten times happier.
  14. Don't lose your passion for music.
  15. Work harder in band. You're actually a pretty good flutist when you put in the effort.
  16. You're not going to get every role you go out for. Welcome to Theatre. Learn to live with the rejection.
  17. It's okay to cry.
  18.  Don't ever feel like you have to bottle up your emotions.
  19. Stop being so insecure. You're an amazing girl. Yes, you're dramatic and your personality is huge, own that. Your insecurity will get the best of you, don't let that happen.
  20. Learn how to love your body. You're not fat. You have curves, love them.
  21. Don't every feel like you have to start a diet. Especially for a boy.
  22. Never let a boy control your life. If you have to change any part of who you are for him, he's so not worth it.
  23. Find your voice.
  24. Stop trash talking others. It doesn't make you look good.
  25. Think before you speak.
  26. Lift others up, don't tear them down.
  27. Saying yes to teaching Middle School Ministry is a great decision.
  28. Middle School Ministry is far from easy. There will be times you want to pull your hair out. The kids don't listen, you feel like they're not learning anything, circumstances aren't what they should be. Don't ever give up. Even if it feels like the kids don't need you, you need them.
  29. God works in funny ways. Trust in his plan, even if it's not what you had in mind.
  30. It's okay to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them and don't repeat them.
  31. For your own sake, learn when to say no.
  32. Stand up for yourself.
  33. Quit Wendy's.
  34. Retail therapy is a good thing.
  35. Just remember to stay on budget.
  36. Managing your money will save you from so much stress.
  37. Actual therapy is good too.
  38. Find who your real friends are and be good to them.
  39. Stop being so fake.
  40. Embrace who you are. Yes, you're flawed but you're perfectly imperfect. You have a scarred past (trust me on this one, you will) but it's what makes you who you are. You're not always going to be strong. You're not always going to be weak either. It's okay to be weak, it really is. 2 Corinthians 12:10 "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Gigi

Hey Gigi, I can't believe you've been gone an entire year. I miss you so much. I wish we would've been closer before you left but our fractured relationship with Grandma sorta prevented that.I remember getting the call from my mom while I was at Disneyland with my friends saying that I needed to call Grandma Darcy because you were probably going to die that night. I broke down crying at the Tower of Terror, my friends held me on the sidewalk while I cried. I finally put myself together long enough to call you and say goodbye. You didn't answer me and when I hung up I lost it again. I pulled myself together so I could enjoy the rest of my trip, anxiously waiting for the phone call that you had moved on. I returned home and you were doing better, all the worry and panic that I felt was finally gone... I still had more time. I wasn't expecting to receive that message from Grandma on the morning of April 3, 2012 that you had passed on in your sleep. I sat at the table

Competition Season (Mostly)

Competition season is vastly approaching, meaning my life has taken a turn into Crazy Town. Sometimes I wonder why I signed up for two AP classes, Theater, Band, and Medical Anatomy while I'm trying to juggle working too. It is extremely tiring to be doing all these things but the rewards make it all worth it. It'll be nice to not have to take English or Government in college (if I pass the AP test) and the memories I make with my  performing arts friends will last me forever, not to mention it is so cool to learn all our body can do, oh and work is such a fun little family for me and the money in my bank account doesn't hurt. Stuff like this makes the craziness worth it. I'm not one to just sit still, I love having stuff going on in my life. Back to the topic... Competition Season. AH!!!! I LOVE competition season. I love pouring hours into my instrument hoping the rest of the band does the same thing and maybe this is the year we'll take state (fingers crossed) I

Another Show, Another Closing Night... Or Two.

When I auditioned for Fiddler on the Roof at a local theatre here in town, I never thought that I could get cast in the children's show Bridge to Terabithia. Imagine my surprise when I was approached by the director to be an understudy for Miss Edmunds, as well as an Assistant Stage Manager. I eagerly agreed, and thus began one of the craziest summers I've experienced so far. While I was disappointed to have not made it into Fiddler , I am so thankful to have been given the opportunity to have worked on Bridge to Terabithia. Because it is a children's show, most of the roles were double cast meaning we have two closing nights. Tonight was the final performance ever of Bridge to Terabithia  at Brigham's Playhouse. Closing night is always a bittersweet feeling. I'm anxious to move on to the next show, or to even have a break from shows and have a chance to breathe for a little while before jumping into the next production. But on the other side of that, I'm nev